Monday, March 26, 2007

The Decline of the American Empire (Le declin de l'empire americain) - Denys Arcand

I often find it a welcome enjoyment to watch a non-English film in its original language without the need of subtitles (I am pretty good with Parisian French, but Quebecois is what I am used to), somehow it's different, and I know that I am stating the obvious, but the experience becomes something else entirely. Language is the link between culture and experience, both of which we often take for granted. Watching this film brought me back to so many youthful moments with my family, and no they are not intellectuals and I kinda like it that way. The awkwardness found in discussions about love and sex are pushed to the forefront, yet the viewer has to deal with it early, especially if one is uncomfortable talking about sex. Although the film has not aged very well (the 80s were an awkward period, weren't they?), yet the themes, the conflict, and the lack of resolution are consistently present. Arcand's film is about relationships, but the most powerful angles of these unions lie within the deceptions that seek to destroy this coven of friendship. The no-ties sex encounter is consistently contrasted with intellectualized discussions on love, marriage fidelity, and friendship and that becomes the lesson for us all in my opinion: How much can we collapse unions of love alongside unions of friendship? What is the price of such an act? It is truly amazing in how fragile humans are when relationships are questioned and trivialized and do we ever fully recover?

No comments: