Friday, April 07, 2006

The Seventh Seal - Ingmar Bergman

As you can well see, I change genres sporadically and without thought, I look for something interesting and I watch it. After having watched Zombi 5, I needed a challenging film, something that would really force me to think in the abstract, yet in an allegorical way, does that make any sense? I love the idea of good versus evil (vice versa, perhaps?) within the confines of one common medium and this film allows us to contemplate our purpose in life via a game of chess played between death and a knight returning from the Crusades (played by Max Von Sydow). Admittedly, I am not a great fan of black and white film, yet there have been exceptions, Night of the Living Dead, Freaks, Carnival of Souls, Eyes Without A Face, yet I tend to have a cultural bias in favour of films in colour (I am working on it though!) I love the combination of plague intertwined with humanity's morality amidst both the nobility and the peasants, as well as the jesters and performers, is there anything anyone can do to conquer death? We are given a celluloid poem on both the frailty of life as well as the failures of the human race (the woman burnt at the stake, for example). An excellent and engaging commentary on morality, religion, and our assumptions about everyone else, and all from one of Sweden's greatest filmmakers.

No comments: