Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hard Candy - David Slade

All controversial movies have alongside them a certain mythos, a cultural exaggeration for the purpose of creating hype. Think back to the old school exploitation movies like Snuff, The Last House on the Left, etc., and you will warrant my argument with a smile (wink, wink, nudge, nudge!); the hype around a certain film will either make it better or deflate the myths that surround it. Hard Candy has been surrounded by ooohhs and aaahhs and a relative secrecy surrounding its value and considering the subject, this is one of those cases where one is not sure what to think. Did I feel slimy going into the theater? No. Was I glad I went? Yes. Kudos to Brian Nelson for writing such an engaging scipt and considering most of his work has been in television (don't get me started!), I look forward to his next project. What Hard Candy does most successfully is create a certain level of tension one finds in a really good thriller and combines it with one of the most sensitive and socially taboo topics around, creating an atmosphere of such emotional bewilderment I have not felt since Irreversible. This film is tricky and difficult to describe without giving anything away so go and see it if you enjoy being challenged as a film watcher, and please do yourself a favour and leave the bad hype at the door.

No comments: