Sunday, May 07, 2006

Breaking the Waves - Lars Von Trier

Von Trier always impresses me, I have yet to dislike one of his films. He consistently questions the motives found in the human condition, and Breaking the Waves is no different. Although the film is closer to three hours than two and a half, it is well paced and the character development is consistent, Emily Watson is absolutely engaging in her character development, she evokes a multitude of emotions out of the viewer, and leaves you wanting more at the end of the film. Having seen quite a few of Von Trier's films I can safely assess that he is such a challenging filmmaker and perhaps that is what makes him so controversial; he uses art as the artifice it is and is not shy from pushing it to extremes. Although this so-called artifice is tame in this film in comparison to others, his camera work as well as the editing is truly his style. I am not a film scholar, nor to I claim to be, but the fascination I have with Von Trier's work will continue as long as he continues to make movies, and even after. Eventhough I am aware that he can often be a difficult person to work with (I think Bjork would attest to that!), he tends to reach new heights in the development of his characters and perhaps his vision is conceited and extreme at times, the product that comes out is spectacular and unique and, indeed, all his own.

No comments: